This article describes the two integration solutions – Dell Boomi and SAP’s Point-to-Point (PTP) replication – that are available to SAP SuccessFactors customers who wish to replicate employee data from Employee Central to Employee Central Payroll.
In the world of integration and its wide range of offerings, Dell Boomi provides a single platform with multi-tenant environment for integrating cloud to cloud as well as cloud to on-premise applications.
There are two parts to the Boomi solution: the SaaS application where you can manage the entire integration lifecycle and the Atom, a run-time engine that executes the integration processes.
The Atom enables integration processes to run in the cloud but it can also be deployed on-premise to connect applications behind the firewall.
I have worked extensively with Boomi and I find that some of the features do help with the development cycle, such as reusable components, the pre-built connectors, and the integration packages. Another positive is that with Boomi, there is no need for coding in most cases.
With Point-to-Point, the middleware is substituted by an ABAP report and the configuration data of the middleware such as connections to Employee Central or the filter for the target system, are shifted to the SAP system.
Both solutions offer a standard integration package that uses Compound Employee API to make the request to Employee Central and replicate the data to Employee Central Payroll.
The basic concept of standard integration packages is that only end points and parameters configuration is required. However, custom fields can be added to the standard package as per business requirements.
The confirmation process is performed with an OData upsert directly after the data processing is finished instead triggering it over a web service.
Based on my own experience after having implemented both solutions, I would recommend SAP’s Point-to Point solution because of these key advantages:
- Reduces the complexity of the integration since it has one less point of failure as well as no middleware to manage.
- In Point-to-Point, I was able to troubleshoot issues in 20% of the time I required in Boomi because all replication objects reside in one system.
- Point-to-Point is easier and faster to implement than Boomi.
- All new features and functionality will only be available with the Point-to-Point framework going forward.
In addition, for existing customers running Employee Central Payroll and using Boomi, there are migration tools available to automate your migration process from Boomi to PTP with minimum effort.
As a bonus, here is an overview of the migration steps you would need to perform to move your replication program from Boomi to Point-to-Point:
- Run report PR_HRSFEC_MIGRATE_CV_MAPPING in ECP to migrate mapping table content that you want to use in the replication program
- Migrate your BAdI implementations to the new Point-to-Point BAdI on enhancement spot HRSFEC_CE_MASTER_DATA_REPL
- From the IMG structure, go through the configuration steps for the Point-to-Point replication
- Set up the connection in Employee Central Payroll and create the replication target system in Employee Central
- Turn off the old web service in Boomi and create a new web service for Point-to-Point
- Create a technical user role in Employee Central Payroll
- Trigger the replication program in Employee Central Payroll using the Last Modified Date you can find in the property extensions in Boomi
I hope you found my experience and suggestions helpful. If you have any questions or comments about integration, please leave them below.