One of the strengths of SAP SuccessFactors is its usability. Intuitive design and processes make user adoption less of a concern than we had with HCM systems years ago. However, despite the increase in usability, there are still ways you can tailor SAP SuccessFactors user experience to your own processes and rules. One of those ways is the Show Me feature. Let’s get an overview of this feature and see how it can help.
What is Show Me?
Show Me is a standard feature in SAP SuccessFactors (Tip: you must enable it in order to use it) that allows you to create and embed custom informational or “how to” videos to guide users. Since many people believe video learning is more effective than text-based learning, it can be argued that these videos provide a more effective set of contextual instructions for your users.
Show Me videos can serve different purposes. For example, you can use them to provide answers to common questions about your company’s performance policies and processes that guide users as they enter or update their own goals. Or you can give tips for navigating a specific screen. Regardless of how you use them, Show Me videos can improve user satisfaction and also reduce the number of help desk calls you get on your high transaction screens.
Things to Remember
While using Show Me is easy and definitely worthwhile, there are a few things to remember:
- You have to activate the feature in your SAP SuccessFactors system. I’ll cover this in more detail in a future blog.
- You can add a Show Me video to any BizX-based page except Admin Center pages.
- You can only have one Show Me video per page.
- You need to grant permission to your Show Me author before they can create content.
- If a page has a video, users will see the Show Me icon on the page. If a page doesn’t have a video, the icon won’t appear. (See Figure 2)
- Your video authors can save a draft version of a video before it is published so you can have content reviews before it is rolled out. (See Figure 3)
- Your video author may create and preview a recording. A checkbox to “Make the video Public to others” is available. The Author also has the option to Record a new video or delete if necessary. (See Figure 4)
- The videos are stored on SAP Cloud Platform (SCP) at an SAP data center in Germany. So even though the videos don’t contain any of your data, customers outside of Germany should be sure that having content stored in a different country is allowed by their company’s data privacy policies.
Creating informative videos will help end users become confident in utilizing the full capabilities of the system and significantly improve their experience. In a future blog, I will highlight some uses and also give some more tips on creating content. In the meantime, if you have questions about Show Me or you have experiences or feedback you want to share, please contact me directly.
FIGURE 1: If you don’t have it set up as a standard feature, an update is required and is done using the SAP SuccessFactors Upgrade Centre. (Optional Upgrades).
FIGURE 2: If a page has a video, users will see the Show Me icon on the page. If a page doesn’t have a video, the icon won’t appear.
FIGURE 3: Video authors can save a draft version of a video before it is published so you can have content reviews before it is rolled out.
FIGURE 4: Authors also have the option to Record a new video or delete if necessary.
Ashlin Kandan is a consultant at iXerv’s SAP SuccessFactors Center of Excellence in Durban, South Africa, specializing in SAP SuccessFactors and WorkForce Software. He is skilled in Technical Support, ITIL, Data Migration, Databases, and IT Service Management and holds a Bachelor of Technology (BTech) focused in Information Technology from Durban University of Technology.